
Tim and I headed to Norfolk on Friday (Halloween) to the Eastern Virginia Medical School. We wanted the doctors there to take a closer look at Sydney's kidneys. On our last doctor's appointment at the beach, Dr. Dwyer and Dr. Winfree both noticed the tube on her left kidney that transfers fluid from her kidney to her bladder was a little bigger than it should be; this is known as pyelectasis. Usually the diameter of the tube measures less than 6 mm, and her tube was measuring 7.5 mm. When the measurement is over 7 mm, the normal protocol is to take a closer look with a high tech ultrasound machine. Both doctors were not overly concerned, but they wanted us to get another pair of eyes to look at her kidneys. Like my typical self, when we got home I immediately went on the internet and started researching pyelectasis. That was a BIG mistake...I was freaked out because they said the baby could have just about everything from Down's Syndrome to needing kidney transplants early in life! I quickly stepped away from the computer and scoulded myself. All I could do was pray that she would be fine.
We were both a little nervous about the visit; no parent or soon-to-be parent wants to hear something is wrong with their child. When we walked into the hospital, we checked in and waited for the doctors to call us in. The ultrasound technician's name was Sharon and she was awesome! She really calmed us down as she began the ultrasound. The first thing she looked at was her kidneys. The measured the diameter of the tubes on her left and right kidney and they both measured 4.5 mm!! She continued with the ultrasound and double checked the kidney measurements at the end. The measurements had not changed; they were still 4.5 mm! Words cannot explain how relieved Tim and I were after getting the good report from the doctor!
It was amazing to see how big Sydney had gotten over the past month! Sharon said she could see hair on Sydney's head and fat rolls on her legs! We asked her to double...no triple....check that it was still a girl; I am still having dreams of having a boy. Well, it was VERY obvious we were not having a boy and we have detailed ultrasound pictures to prove it! When she looked at Sydney's other major organs, the clarity and precision of the ultrasound machine was mind-boggling! You could see the different chambers of the heart opening and closing as blood pumped through her tiny body.
It will not be too much longer before we will not have to rely on an ultrasound machine to see our baby girl! We found out she weighs about 5 pounds 11 ounces and she is about 19 inches long. All of her measurements are right were they should be. I hope she doesn't get too much bigger...delivering a 10 pound toddler is not what I hope will happen! :)
1 comment:
DECEMBER 6TH ALL THE WAY!!!!!! :-)
Post a Comment