It was the week of April 7, 2008. I just finished my week of babysitting the Barker kids for a week. Their parents had gone on a trip to Australia and they asked me to watch their two kids, Miranda (10) and Charlie (5). It was a very busy week with getting them ready for school, cooking meals, completing homework, and driving to practices. Needless to say, it was an eye-opening week.
During the week, I did not feel like my usual self. My appetite was up and down, I was very tired, and my complexion was like looking in the mirror during my teenage years! The thought of taking a pregnancy test crossed my mind a time or two, but taking the test at the Barker's just did not seem right. I wanted to be at my house when I took the test.
Well, Friday afternoon arrived and I dropped the Barker kids off to babysitter #3. I met Tim for a quick dinner. Over casual conversation, I explained to Tim that I had not had my period since February....and now it was the 11th of April. He looked at me with a grimace and smile on his face. I said that if I did not start my period within the next few days, I would go to the store and purchase a pregnancy test. This would definitely not be the first time to take a pregnancy test. Usually what happens is I take the test, it comes back negative, and I start my period within the next few days...there went $15 down the drain!
The next day, I went to lunch at BJ's with Tim, Jon and Kristen Harris, and Jake. I ordered a salad with ranch dressing. After taking a few bites of the salad, I felt my stomach turn. Nothing sounded good to eat and in the back of my mind, I knew something was up. I finished the meal as best as I could and headed to the Spring Fling (an elementary school carnival at a school in Currituck) with Kristen and Baby Brycen. Tim and the boys decided to go to the race track; Jon was going to enter his truck in the competition. After the carnival, I went to Wal-Mart to grab a few things I needed....and one of those items happened to be a home pregnancy test!
When I got home, I was not sure if I should take the test now or wait for Tim to get home. Well, sometimes the truck races run on until the middle of the night and I couldn't wait any longer. I followed the standard routine in taking the test and set it on the floor while I waited. The box said it could take as long as three minutes to get the results. I decided to stare at the test as the timer flashed across the screen. As best as I can remember, it only took less than a minute for the results to appear on the screen.....pregnant. I stared at it in disbelief for about ten seconds....then it hit me! I dashed out of the bathroom and began to pace the living room floor. I must have checked the test screen about a dozen times before I sat down on the love seat. My hands immediately went to my face and I was speechless. I walked outside on the back porch and saw this amazing sight and I knew I had to capture the moment.
I absently grabbed the phone and called Tim. What was I going to say? I did not want to blurt out the news and have him be so far away....he needed to know face to face. When he answered the phone, the pit in my stomach dropped. He said that the race had been rained out and he was headed home...whew! When I hung up the phone, I knew that I wanted to tell Tim in a special way that I was pregnant. But before I could do that, I wanted to take the other pregnancy test...just to be sure there was not a fluke in the first test.
With test number two showing a positive result, I decided to go to the store and get a card for Tim. I found the perfect card which exactly expressed the feelings I felt at that moment. Next thing I knew, I was wondering around the baby section. I saw this cute bib that said "I Love Daddy." I grabbed the bib and headed to the check out line.
When I got home, it seemed as though time moved at a snail's pace. Tim called me and said he was at Jon's shop and he would be home in about 30 minutes. I sat down on the couch and wrote down the thoughts that were going through my head in the card I bought. I placed the card, pregnancy test, and the bib on the chair next to the door....I knew Tim would see them immediately when he walked through the door...or so I thought. Mr. Jack, our crazy orange tabby, was intrigued by the bib. He kept playing with the bib and swatting at it with this claws. I was sitting on the chair distracting Jack from the bib, when I heard Tim's truck pull into the driveway. I knew Jack would keep messing with the bib, so I decided to strap it to his neck! I snapped a quick pic of Jack in the bib and rushed to hide in the bedroom. Doesn't Jack look thrilled to have the bib around his neck?
My heart was pounding as I waited for Tim to enter the house....he had no idea what awaited him on the other side of the front door. I heard the door open and then I heard Tim laugh. He was talking to Jack and wondering what was around his neck. After he removed the bib, he went looking for me. He opened the bedroom door and I immediately blurted out, "Did you see what was on the chair?" He walked back into the living room with a very puzzled look on his face. He walked to the chair and stared at the pregnancy test. He was completely confused and kept switching his glance from me back to the test. He sat down and opened the card. All I could do was sit across from him on the love seat and stare at him as he read the card. When he finished reading the card, I think it finally hit him. He got up from the chair and sat next to me. He was also at a loss of words. Every time he looked at me, he laughed. It was the cutest nervous and excited laugh I had heard from Tim. We exchanged lots of hugs and kisses for the next few minutes. We were both so overwhelmed and eager to start the next stage of our lives.
Stay tuned for more details on our adventures through pregnancy!
No comments:
Post a Comment